So I’m assuming that most of you guys are not yet familiar with the V-League 1st conference format.
Basically it goes like this:
– Top 4 of Bracket A and Bracket B will advance and will form two new Brackets
– 1st and 3rd ranked teams of Bracket A and B will be together in a new bracket
– 2nd and 4th ranked teams of Bracket A and B will be together in a new bracket
– In the quarterfinals, teams who faced each other in the eliminations can’t face anymore and will have a carryover standing instead (example: Ateneo is #1, Arellano is #3. They will still be in the new bracket but they will not face anymore, instead, since Arellano defeated Ateneo, they will have a 1-0 standing even if Ateneo is the #1 seed. Obviously, Ateneo will have a 0-1 standing coming to the quarterfinals with their 5-set loss to Arellano)
– Top 2 of each new bracket will face in the Final Four
So, here’s why Ateneo needs to be #2 in Bracket A: Ateneo lost to Arellano. An Adamson win over Arellano will put them at #1 and Arellano at #3 and Arellano will have that 1-0 in the quarterfinals and Ateneo will have a 0-1. If that happens, Ateneo has to sweep all their remaining games and hope that Arellano will lose one game for them to at least force a playoff game.
Here’s the catch. If Ateneo gets bracketed with the #1 and #3 teams, there’s a big chance that Ateneo will face NU and FEU (assuming there are no upsets anymore in the other bracket). This might come at a disadvantage considering Ateneo has to win both games to move closer to the Final Four (But who am I kidding, Ateneo is kind of used to do or die games).
However, if Ateneo gets bracketed with the #2 and #4 teams, they will have a 1-0 standing (assuming they beat Benilde, which I think is most likely to be the one who will enter the Quarterfinals) and will face UST and San Sebastian (or even Davao if they surprise us all). And here’s another catch, assuming NU beats Arellano in the other bracket, Ateneo might even face Arellano for a revenge match in the Final Four, if they win over UST and the #4 seed of the other group (Davao/SanSebastian/Perpetual).
Of course, these are still pending upsets. So let’s see. The season is still long.
But here’s what Ateneo fans should wish for:
ARELLANO SHOULD BEAT ADAMSON for the #2 spot instead of the #1 spot.
At #1, we will be 0-1 in the quarterfinals. At #2, we will be 1-0 in the quarterfinals.
ARELLANO SHOULD BEAT ADAMSON. Lesser problems. Better chance.